Tuesday, April 26, 2011



To be honest before watching "Marley & Me", I thought I had it all figured out about this film. I was pretty sure that this film was going to be about a happy ending movie about a dog but I was completely wrong. Let me just say, I definitely bawled to this movie like no other. Not only at the end but throughout of it. I've always been a huge fan of dogs since I had my own about ten years ago but because of my allergies, we had to give it away.

When I found out that Marley & Me was directed by David Frankel, I knew I had to check it out. One of my favorites movies by him is "Devil Wears Prada" and knowing that was an amazing movie and one of my favorites, I knew Marley & Me would be too. 

Marley & Me is a romantic comedy drama starring Jennifer Anniston and Owen Wilson. It's about a newlywed couple that grow up together along with Marley, the dog. Jennifer and Owen gets married and move to Florida to pursue in their writing career for their news article. Throughout the movie, the married couple decides to get a puppy and named it Marley but after a few months, Marley grows into a 100 pound dog that causes a lot of chaos for the couple. Since the married couple became richer and had children of their own, they were losing patience with Marley's energy. The busy family is so attached to their busy lifestyle that they forgot how old Marley has gotten. After going to the doctor's for Marley's checkup, they were informed that his time is coming up. 

While watching this movie, I realized this movie isn't about just a dog. It's about human life with a dog and how the family grew up together along with a dog. The movie was very relatable to me and probably to many viewers out there which was one of the reasons why it was such a good movie.. at least, to me.
A particular scene that really made me bawl was when the family realized that something was wrong with Marley. It was a daily routine for Marley to wait for the kids at the bus stop but the kids realized he hasn't been doing that lately because he was getting old and sick. As the family were playing outside, Marley ran away from home because he knew his time was coming up and for dogs, they like to be alone when their about to pass away.

Marley & Me has taught me that "Life happens when you're making other plans",which is so true. A quote that has been stuck into my head was when Owen Wilson said "the chaos is what made Marley worth living with" even though at the time it didn't seem like it. I realized that relates to everyone, not just dogs. Sometimes the chaos you have with a certain someone, is what makes worth living with.

Overall, I absolutely found this movie enjoyable even though I bawled through it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment